Wednesday, August 18, 2021

A Long Overdue Update on The Igloo Ice Cream Parlor in Calabash, NC

Today in August, 2021, many people are remembering the upcoming 20th anniversary of the 9-11 attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. But I have another, much happier 20th anniversary occurring this month , as it was 20 years ago, in August, 2001, that our family and friends on a beach vacation trip to Ocean Isle Beach , discovered (and fell in love with) the Igloo ice cream parlor in Calabash, NC. It was run by an older couple, John (Walt) and Gloria Hoover, who worked 14 hour days, 7 days a week, and seemed to be having the greatest joy in serving ice cream to hundreds of happy customers. I think our group went back three times that week for the great ice cream, but also to share in the joy the Hoovers had in serving and talking with everyone of all ages.

The Igloo in 2001 (Calabash, NC)


 

                                                

 

 

 

 



John (Walt) and Gloria Hoover serving ice cream at the Igloo in August, 2001

 

            

 

 

 

  

 In 2007, I posted a reminiscence here on this same blog, Missing the Igloo in Calabash! that, fortunately,  was discovered by the grandchildren of John (Walt) and Gloria Hoover, who had operated the Igloo. (Please read that earlier post for some additional background on the Igloo). The granddaughters contacted me to let me know what their grandparents were doing and shortly thereafter, I got a nice handwritten letter from John (Walt) and Gloria Hoover on January 12, 2008 thanking me for my remembering the Igloo. It read as follows...

Dear Fellow Igloo Fan and Dan Ream’s Blog-

It was really a surprise when I had a call from one of my granddaughters, Stephie Hoover. She had located your inquiry about the Igloo in Calabash and John and Gloria Hoover. I was elated to think that someone was interested enough to try and find some background as to what became of the Igloo and its owners. I remember your family and the good times you all had when you vacationed in the area.

As I remember I have told many of our customers when they came by and asked why we put in those long hours (14 hours daily, 7 days a week). We enjoyed the people we met and enjoyed each and every one of them. I just happened! It was my salvation along with the fact that we enjoyed the people we came in contact with. The Igloo is the only walkup window with jazz music that had customers dancing on the patio and others talking with strangers from other parts of the USA and world. Some told us their troubles and listened to our unqualified advice

Have memories such as  -the man from Dakota who ran over an alligator one night and with the help of animal control, EMS, a towing wrecker with air pump it was brought back to life – the bear that knocked down our fence chasing its cubs- the fox that appeared every night at 8:30 for showtime then disappeared after two weeks- the Rhode Island chicken looked for a handout then roosted in a tree overnight. This one I offered a free sundae to whoever caught him and took him home. We should write a book about the Igloo and the customers we had!

But what is amazing this whole thing is that Sarah Weber has made contact with you. What a nice granddaughter and what a small world. Sarah worked at the Igloo at times over the summer.

Both Gloria and myself smile in appreciation to think that you made a search thru the Internet for info concerning the Igloo and our whereabouts I this small world! (There is a low country saying in the South the Gullah people have- “All shuteye ain’t sleep, all good byes ain’t gone”) Between the past and the future!

Thank you for your concern!

John and Gloria Hoover

The Two Eskimos from Calabash, NC

P.S. My coffee is cold-  so you know I enjoyed writing this note!

 

Seven years later, in 2015, my 2007 Igloo blog posting was found by John Hobgood at the nearby Sunset Beach Trading Company , who sent me the following update and photo, showing what had become of the Igloo building...

Dan,
Found your blog online with an 8year old blog about the old Igloo in Calabash. It now sits in a field north of Calabash, just south of Tabor City in Columbus County. While I have contact with current owners of building, I doubt the use of such a structure with today's zoning regulations, building inspections, etc would be possible.

For those that still come down this way my wife and I took over her parents' business on Sunset Beach and are celebrating our 25th year at the Sunset Beach Trading Company. It's not the Igloo, but swing in for ice cream, shaved ice sno-balls, and homemade fudge!

Hope you are well,
John Hobgood

 

In November, 2017, I heard back again from the Hoovers' granddaughter, Stephanie, who sent me this update that John (Walt) had passed away the previous year, but that his grandson was carrying on in the ice cream business...

 
Dear Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to write about the Igloo so many years ago. I often do a Google search and stumble upon your blog about the famous Igloo. I spent may summers in the Igloo, helping my Grandpa with the register and fetching shaved ice flavors for my Gram. Not realizing it at the time, but it was a dream come true to have ice cream twice a day during my visits with them. 

Today is Veterans Day, 2017. I always sent my Grandpa a card for his service. He passed last year, and I miss him with my whole heart. Seeing the picture on your blog serving a customer made my day. My Gram is staying busy with grandchildren and great grandchildren and still working at her appraisal sales. She's quite remarkable for 88! 

My brother and his wife bought an ice cream shop 2 years ago and are following in my Grandparents footsteps! They are just starting their dream a little earlier. Gram frequents the ice cream shop, Chitter Chatter often. We want her behind the counter with her peach sundae! 

Hope this email puts a smile on your face just like your article did for me today.
 

Stephanie
Walt and Gloria's granddaughter

 

I am happy to report that the Hoovers' grandson's ice cream parlor, mentioned in Stephanie's letter above- Chitter Chatter- is apparently (according to their Facebook postings) alive and well and operating in Holland, Ohio, surely carrying on in the Hoovers' joyful ice cream serving tradition . Stopping there for ice cream on a summer night is definitely on my travel bucket list!